Volunteer and Intern OpportunitiesGoing to the mountains is going home.-John Muir
Since 1993 the Sierra Nevada Alliance has been protecting and restoring Sierra lands, water, wildlife and communities. Our mission is to protect and restore the natural resources of the Sierra Nevada for future generations while promoting sustainable communities. We are an alliance of conservation groups that are based or work in the Sierra Nevada region. There are over eighty-five member groups that span the entire 400-mile mountain range. The Sierra Nevada Alliance headquarters is located at 10183 Truckee Airport Rd Suite 202 Truckee CA 96161. Interns work side-by-side with our dedicated staff to learn about the conservation issues affecting John Muir’s famed ‘Range of Light’, while gaining valuable work experience in the non-profit sector.
The Sierra Nevada Alliance is seeking a dynamic intern to provide a wide range of communication and research support to the Development Program. The communications intern will work directly with the Director to achieve the goals of the committee. In turn, the Alliance hopes to provide our intern with the opportunity to gain leadership skills and experience and familiarity in the following areas: communications (web, media, email and traditional correspondence), philanthropy, fundraising and donor relations. We are looking for an intern to work 10-20 hours a week in our office in Truckee. Start/end dates and hours are flexible.
Internship opportunities include:
• Web Design: Develop white paper on best practices for updating the Alliance’s current website, email and e-newsletters. Research and non-profit websites using updated technology such as RSS feeds, widgets, video & sound.
• Web and Social Networking: Assist with the development of web social networking tools.
• Newsletters: Assist with design and content of quarterly newsletter and monthly e-newsletters.
• Outreach Materials: Design outreach materials such as flyers, posters, invitations.
• Media Outreach: Assist with media outreach. Help create media releases to increase public knowledge of the Sierra Nevada Alliance accomplishments, events and workshops.
• General Support: Assist the Director in other general duties.
Intern(s) may work on one or more of the aforementioned activities depending on experience and interest. We are looking for an intern to work a minimum of 15 hours per week in our Truckee office. Start/end dates and hours are flexible. This intern position is unpaid.
We are looking for interns with the following qualities:
• Passion for the Sierra and its unique issues.
• Interest in Communications and Outreach.
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
• Strong writing and verbal communication (including telephone) skills.
• Experience working in an office environment.
• Flexibility in taking on new challenges. Strong computer skills.
• Experience with InDesign and Photoshop required.
Application instructions: To apply, please submit your resume, contact info and cover letter expressing your interest in this position, what you hope to learn and what you will bring the Sierra Nevada Alliance to Jenny Hatch, Executive Director at [email protected] . Please feel free to call at 530.542.4546 or email for more information. Start/end dates and hours are flexible.
Intern(s) may work on one or more the aforementioned activities depending on experience and interest. Intern will work out of the Alliance headquarters in Truckee. 5-10 hours per week minimum, flexible hours.
To apply for any of our internships, please call 530.542.4546.
Internship Program: Sierra Nevada Alliance PO Box 7989 South Lake Tahoe, CA 96158